Ingredients for Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of garlic puree
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger puree
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1 small lemon grass, smash the roots
- 2 tablespoons of sweet soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of butter
Ingredients for Sambal and Lalapan
- small red and green chilies
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- ½ tomato
- 1 teaspoon of shrimp paste
- 1 kaffir lime
- Vegetables for Lalapan (beans, cabbage, cucumber and tomato)
Method for Chicken
- Mix the chicken with salt, garlic, ginger, turmeric and arrange in the pot. Add water, lemon grass and bay leaves. Close the pot with a lid and cook on low heat for at least 1 hour until all the spices are absorbed in the meat.
- Preheat the oven at 180 C.
- For grilled chicken, place in the oven. After 10 minutes brush with the soy sauce mixture and grill for another 10 minutes.
- Turn the chicken upside down for 5 minutes, then brush again with the soy mixture and grill for a further 10 minutes.
- Turn the chicken again brush with the remaining mixture and grill until the skin is crispy.
- For fried chicken, fry in a piping hot frying pan until golden.
Method for Sambal and Lalapan
- Grind chillies, salt, sugar, tomato and shrimp paste on a grinder (cobek.) Squeeze the juice of kaffir lime on top to add a fresh exotic fragrance.
- Pour the hot water onto the cabbage and beans. Blanch cabbages for 3 minutes, and beans for 10 minutes.
- Cut the cucumber and tomato and put them beside the blanched cabbage and beans as the complete lalapan.
- Whether you have it grilled or fried, make sure your Ayam Lalapan is served hot, with white , red or basmati rice on the side. Happy Indonesian cooking. \MA